Obtaining the Software:
If you do not already have the Sweep Visualizer installed, follow the directions here.
The Sweep Visualizer is a minimal desktop application for interfacing with the Sweep device. It provides a user-friendly starting point for connecting to the device, visualizing scan data, and upgrading firmware.
Open the application and you'll see a main visualizer on the right and a navigable sidebar on the left.
The sidebar consists of 4 tabs ("Device", "File", "Settings", "Perception"). These 4 tabs allow you to collect data from a Sweep device, play a pre-recorded file, change visualizer settings, and test common perception algorithms.
The main visualizer window consists of 2 tabs ("Visualizer", "Data Table"). These 2 tabs allow you to visualize data in both graphical and table format.
Connecting to a Sweep Device:
1. Close any open files or disconnect any connected devices.
2. Navigate to the "Device" tab in the main sidebar.
3. Select the Sweep device using the dropdown menu in "Port Selection" panel on the "Device" tab. The device name will be something like "COM#" on windows, "/dev/ttyUSB#" on linux, and "/dev/cu.usbserial-* on mac.
Note: If you do not see the device listed, make sure it is connected, and press the button next to the port selection dropdown.
4. Once the Sweep device is selected, press the button on the "Device" tab.
5. The device should connect and automatically open the "Command Controls" panel on the "Device" tab. Check that the message displayed at the bottom of the panel indicates the device is connected.
Visualizing Scan Data From a Connected Sensor:
1. Once a device is connected and the "Command Controls" panel is open, press the button under the "Data Acquisition" section.
2. The message should display "Received Start Data Acquisition Receipt" and data Visualization should begin automatically. While the device is streaming data, it cannot receive any commands other than stop, so various controls are grayed out.
3. To stop visualizing data, press the button under the "Data Acquisition" section.
**Note: While the device is collecting data, it cannot process other commands. Because of this, the buttons to transmit various commands are grayed out until data acquisition is terminated. To change device settings such as motor speed or sample rate, first STOP data acquisition and then transmit the command.
Visualizing Scan Data from a Pre-Recorded File
1. Disconnect from any devices before opening a recorded file.
2. Navigate to the "File" tab in the main sidebar.
3. Use the "Open Data File" button to locate the recorded scan data file with .scd extension.
4. Once the file is open, press the play button to begin viewing the data.
5. You can pause the data at any point and use the slider to look closely at each scan.
Ways to View Data:
Recall that the main visualizer window has 2 tabs ("Visualizer" & "Data Table"). Under the "Visualizer" tab, scan data will be drawn to the screen graphically.
Under the "Data Table" tab, raw scan data is used to populate a table.
The main visualizer window defaults to a perspective view with free camera controls. Use the mouse to navigate the camera with the following controls:
- Pan - Right Mouse Button + drag
- Orbit - Left Mouse Button + drag
- Zoom - Mouse Scroll Wheel
You can reset the camera view, or switch to any orthographic view by pressing the left most button on the toolbar at the top of the Visualizer tab.